[thelist] alternative for entity #149

Cristian Secara secarica at fx.ro
Tue Apr 2 09:40:01 CST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:04:33 -0800 (PST), iris wrote:

>how safe is it to use [...] i don't have convenient
>access to macs and linux machines.  is there a
>resource out there, like a browser chart, that will
>tell me which ones work in which browsers?

I have done some tests on Linux with few characters (like bullet, open
and close quote, trademark, etc.) and am bit disappointed: Linux seems
to have no Unicode support. It does, however, makes some assumption
(Unicode-to-ISO character translate).
With ISO-8859-2 charset, bullet (2022h or 8226) appears like *. Quote
is half correct, half the standard ". Euro appears EURO (and not the
Euro symbol). Trademark appeared with a strange font.
With UTF-8 charset, the ampersand characters seem to be not displayed
at all. Have no idea, however, about the rules of combining UTF-8 with
ampersand characters. In Windows, the mix seems ok.

Best wishes,
    Cristi

--
Cristian Secara