[thelist] copyrights and linking

Ben Phillips ben at inchima.com
Tue Apr 2 10:33:01 CST 2002

> IANAL, but from what I understand politicswatch.com doesn't
> want her "linking" to content on there site?
>
> If this is the case, they are pretty much out of luck,
> because every search engine in existence  will link to their
> copyrighted material.
>
> In fact, after reading the copyright link, it doesn't mention
> anything about linking to their site.
>
> IMO, they are putting on a show.

aye, they seem to be trying their luck here to see if she complies
without argument. i remember reading an article about a company who
wanted a link to their site to be removed a few years back, but i can't
remember what i did last week so there's no way i can remember details
about this!

if they don't want her to link to them directly, then they should either
stick them in a web page and ask her to change her links, or use a few
server tricks so that direct requests to an image rewrite to an html
page.

there is really no way they can get her to stop linking to the page,
unless she does so in a defamatory manner.

benji
inchima.com