[thelist] ERD tool

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Apr 3 06:57:01 CST 2002

> i have not tried this but it does mysql and it sure looks capable...
>
> ...i have used ERwin from computer associates (you can find the url if you
> really try, i can't be bothered) and i must admit it...

So, Rudy, I understand you are Mr.DB, right? By the sounds of your message
here, it seems like maybe you don't spend a whole lot of time doing ERD's
and such. Either that or you're doing them mostly on paper? I guess my
question is, when it comes to planning and designing a new database, what
tools (software or otherwise) do you or don't you use?

I actually am just becoming conscious of the need to really have a good plan
for a DB, which is why I'm looking for reading material, etc. on how to do
it properly (schoolin'). Up until now, everything I've done has started with
hen scratching in my notebook at a meeting, and ended in web forms and PHP.
I have this need to get serious or something I guess.

I understand this could probably become a new topic all on its own
('Designing Databases?'), but we'll see where it goes 'fore we commit, eh?

BH