[thelist] Affiliation concepts/ideas?

Chris George chrisg at gsnet.com
Wed Apr 3 11:58:00 CST 2002

Hey all,

I'm thinking about doing up a design spec/prototype of an affiliation
service for our company... But I'm not entirely sure where to start... Is
there a real benefit of an affiliation system?  Off the top, I think it'd be
useful for:

1) Brand recognition
2) Depending on what you include in the masthead, it could be a traffic
driver for sites who are affiliated, as well as our own
3) Provide improved functionality to people's sites

I don't think we'll be putting banners on them, like I've seen...

I really like the OSDN one (on freshmeat.net etc.); extremely functional,
not a lot of fluff.

But are there objections for using an affiliation service? Can they be made
to positively affect our (and out clients') search engine listings?

I thought this topic came up once before, but a quick search through thelist
archives turned up nada...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris.