[thelist] ERD tool

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Apr 3 12:02:00 CST 2002

> i would not recommend getting a
> tool and learning it that way
>
> let me draw you a parallel -- if somebody came to you and said she was
> interested in learning web design, would you tell her to go grab a copy of
> frontpage or dreamweaver and get to work?
>
> it's a crude analogy,

Crude, maybe, but clear, thanks. That's kind of why I asked yesterday about
books. I'm making my order as soon as our purchasing guy is back in town.

In fact, I had this same (or similar) conversation just two days ago (with
my 50+yrs-old Dad, who does all of the hardware/networking stuff as well as
the non-web database work for our operation). Point being that you can't
learn hands-on only. You have to have some good book-learnin' to give you
the official rules and framework for a particular technology. Otherwise, all
you know is what you've been exposed to. Like a toolbox, experience adds one
tool for each thing you do, but education gives you a complete set of
sockets.

> some references --

Excellent! Thanks so much. Just what I was looking for.

> when you're done the above, let me know, because you then need to
> master the fine art of deciding whether or not a column should be declared
> NULL or NOT NULL

Ya know, I've been thinking on that one for a while...!

Thanks again, Rudy.

BH