[thelist] weird anchor behaviour?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Apr 4 09:46:00 CST 2002

"Scarlett Julian (ED)" wrote:

> ... but I thought that <a name=top> was standard html.

Not standard at all. As far as I can tell through quick testing,
only IE (5.5 at least) has a built-in 'name="top"' anchor.

Test: Take a longer-than-your-viewport page and put a link at the
bottom

;; scroll to this and click the link.

Observed behavior: NS4.79 and Opera6 will jump to the top of the page
from any bogus internal (#bottom, #whatever) link. Moz0.9.9 properly
(IMHO) ignores them.

Only IE differentiates between href="#top" and href="#bottom".

All the above is on Win2k; YMMV!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --