[thelist] disabled javascript

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 4 10:02:01 CST 2002

Here we are again... back to the argument about whether doing some client
side validation before sending the info to the server (using javascript) is
a bad practice.

I hardly think they are "daft" for using a javascript to validate the
information before submitting.  Hell, that's a great use for it.  I use it
all the time.  The percentage of users that have it disabled is next to nil
(probably less than 1%), and the ones that have purposely disabled it should
know the consequences of what they're doing (mainly that LOTS of sites will
require it).

And if you fail to realize this fact, I think it is you that is daft and not
the companies in question (Microsoft and Unisys being two of the larger
technology providers in the world).

Reasons why some javascript client-side validation is a GOOD thing:
1. prevents additional server connections to spit back "missing information"
messages
2. enables faster client response time since a user doesn't have to wait for
a few seconds+ to be alerted to the fact that they inadvertently missed a
field
3. #1 and #2 could be seen yielding a higher response to the form because it
takes much less time to handle errors
4. reduces server strain and traffic because reduces erroneous submissions
by heading them off on the client-side

Reasons why some javascript client-side validation is a  BAD thing:
1. some people think it's a security hole and decide to disable it
2. some people think that it's the best way of preventing stupid popup
windows instead of restricting access to sites that are known for popup
windows

David
www.confluentforms.com