[thelist] Limiting Remote Connections to MS SQL.....

kevin D. white simplecypher at bitshift.ws
Thu Apr 4 13:17:01 CST 2002

Maybe I'm blind too 'cause I never figured out how to do this from within
MS-SQL.

One way would be by configuring a filter on a network firewall.  Another
would be by using Win2K's built-in ability to filter TCP/IP traffic on the
box.  A third would be to install a firewall directly on the box and
configure the filter there.

I've used the second option a couple of times with good success.  For info
on this, see the general Windows Help file and search on "TCP/IP Filtering"
or "IPSEC".  Both should give you ample info on how to restrict traffic by
port (1433 for MS-SQL) and by IP address.

Hope that helps.