[thelist] Chat room automation

Cindi csue at netins.net
Sat Apr 6 08:30:01 CST 2002

Hello,

Since I'm not very clear on what the exact needs are for the chat service, I'll post some information just in case it might be helpful.

Here's a site that uses a java applet for visitors to connect (join) an established group of servers, the Undernet.

http://www.undernet.org/webchat.php

On many nets, IRC bots (or eggdrop bots) are only allowed on specific servers, if allowed at all, and it's usually best to ask permission of the server admins before bringing in a bot.

Another method of having users join an established chat server is to use this href link (the user must have an IRC client already installed on their computer) --

That will join someone with an IRC client (it might be mIRC specific, I'd have to check it out), but it will join them to an Undernet server, and have them join the channel #beginner.   You can use any server and any channel (chat room).    I'd like to use this to setup a chat using a small server on my own computer -- one of these days.

What you are needing may not be along those lines, but if you do end up working towards having visitors join part of the IRC network, it's an area where I could offer some assistance concerning automation of commands, mesages, controls, etc.

A site with a lot of information about IRC is this:  http://www.ircbeginner.com

Cheers!

Cindi