[thelist] Perl & Unix epoch

Kostas Nasis kostas at neusis.com
Sun Apr 7 21:56:01 CDT 2002

> I started with UNIX Time Stamps as a way to track information
> in a DB and came to the conclusion that it was better to us
> the native date/time fields and SQL functions of the DB being
> used in order to manipulate and process date information.

But the functions are not always consistent across different database
servers, and if your language has nice date/time functions, like PHP for
example, I think using timestamps is better. Furthermore, it's really
not the job of the database to do date processing/formatting for you.
It's best to do it on the client.

Kostas