[thelist] Perl & Unix epoch

Kostas Nasis kostas at neusis.com
Sun Apr 7 22:37:01 CDT 2002

> I disagree. I think it is the DB's job to do date processing
> and formatting for you. IMHO, that's what the DB is designed
> to do - why take that job away from it??

I'd argue that the database was not designed to process data for you,
only to retrieve it and do so very quickly.

If data processing was its purpose, than maybe it'd also transform XML
for you, or do other tedious formatting tasks.

Also, the date functions in programming languages (or at least in PHP)
are usually more elaborate than those offered by the database.

Kostas