[thelist] how to handle menu weight?

BILL BROWN BILL.BROWN at desertschools.org
Mon Apr 8 13:23:00 CDT 2002

You are right to be concerned about menu weight. Every user has to download it at least once.

We've been using menu systems from BrainJar.com that are lightweight and very flexible. They're also free.

Bill Brown
Web Developer
Desert Schools Federal Credit Union

>>> fortune_elkins at summithq.com 4/8/02 10:31 AM >>>
hiya all!

i'd like to solicit some feedback about menu weight. . .

our current site is about 450 pages. it currently uses the famed
dhtmlcentral.com hiermenus. i have to remake this site and would like to
ditch the hiermenus because of the new licensing fee -- very high. my
audience is a corporate T1 NT or Windows 2000 audience, except for some
latin american clients who are sun 2.6, netscape 4, at about 64.

the current hiermenus all total weigh in at about 45 to 52k, depending on
the users DOM. i've looked at a java applet -- about 35-40k. drawbacks are
obvious. there are the FW4 menus, which would come out to about 40-45k. i
built some very pretty css-based al sparber projectseven.com type dhtml
menus, but they come out to about 50k! <sigh>. i'd like to just stuff these
menus into an ssi. . .

am i worrying too much about menu weight with this audience? are my menu
sizes out of line for my site size? any comments on this? any urls to
consult?