[thelist] Automated Site Builders for Clients?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Apr 8 13:34:00 CDT 2002

Good day, all.

I'm looking for automated site builders for our web hosting clients,
something that you'd see on the major sites like Verisign. Said builder should:

  - offer multiple templates to choose from, optionally split
    by type (ie. "do you want to create an automobile site?
    are you a lawyer? click here if you're a ad agency", etc.)

  - allow a user to type text or upload images into a web based
    form, and the site builder would plug them into the
    template the user chose.

  - offer some measure of authentication so that the user
    can come back and change the site design or modify his
    data any time he wishes.

  - allow "plugins", like "do you want a contact form?" or
    "would you like a survey on the site?" (this is a fringe
    benefit and is optional).

  - run on Linux (optional).
  - be free/open sourced (optional).
  - be locally hosted on our machines.

The only one I've found that does what we want to the degree is:

    http://www.onlinesitecreator.net/select_pages.cfm

Does anyone have:

  - any suggestions on other packages they've used and liked?
  - any comments on the Online Site Creator package?

Thanks!

--
Morbus Iff ( i'm the droid you're looking for )
Tech: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/779 - articles and weblog