[thelist] [Fwd: Flash vs. HTML]

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Wed Apr 10 03:29:01 CDT 2002

hi,
<----- Original Message -----
<From: "Michael Mell" <mike at nthwave.net>
<My initial thought was that Flash is ubiquitous enough that the HTML
version
<would be unnecessary. I thought I read on this list recently that Flash had
<90% penetration. However, this page:
<http://www.matterdesign.com/flash.htm
<says the Flash installed base is a little less than 70% in Netscape.
Numbers
<for IE are harder to tabulate.

Having your website accessible to all users shows you (the client) have
respect for your visitors, and work to a high standard.

If there was an old lady trying to get into the office, would you hold the
door open for her, or sit behind your desk laughing at her efforts?

90% of the money in the world is owned by 1% of the population... I'm not
sure if the numbers are correct, but it shows that if you lock out 10% , you
run the risk of missing many rich old ladies.

Could you imagine an architect saying: "Well, it will cost us a lot less to
build and maintain if we don't bother with all those accessibility features,
and 90% of your customers should be able to enter the building."
That would translate to: "when we move to the new premises we'll loose 10%
of our customers"

Get http://www.flashswitch.com/ to turn Flash on or off during development.
In fact, it's great for fast surfing without those annoying adverts too.

Cheers,
Richard.