[thelist] Javascript Help

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Wed Apr 10 08:08:01 CDT 2002

I have a page with ten textboxes.  I am trying to create a function to limit
the number of characters in each box.

Here is what I have so far...

<script language=Javascript>
function maxlength(name,size) {
     number = eval("document.br." + name + ".value.length")
     string = eval("document.br." + name + ".value")
     if (number > size) {
          alert("You have reached the maximum number of characters allowed
for this box.")
          newstring = string.substring(0,size)
          "document.br." + name + ".value" = newstring    //  <file://
WRONG> WRONG CODE!!!
     }
}
</script>

where name is the name of the textbox and size is the maximum size.

The problem that I have is that I can't reassign the newstring value back to
the original field (e.g. the denoted code is incorrect) .  Can anyone offer
any assistance?

Thanks,
Josh