[thelist] accessibility in a photography site (look and feel)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 10 12:33:02 CDT 2002

> From: "Ed McCarroll" <Ed at ComSimplicity.com>
[...]
> Talk about inaccessible; I couldn't keep Matt's art from blocking
> Bobby's report.
>
> More importantly, IMO, given that the site does little more than
> show the photography, making this site accessible to people with
> impaired vision may prove more challenging than worthwhile.

glad you changed the subject line... i find it interesting that
requests for design commentary always come down to code,
accessibility, browser, UI, etc. responses...

no, that isn't bad, and no, Ed, you haven't done anything wrong, i
just find it interesting....

we've got a few photography sites we've done (old now, so the
HTML isn't completely perfect) that have won awards for just their
design...

we had to grapple with the idea of making them both attractive and
usable, and make sure we had good reason to leave people out...
for all the accessibility whining i do, i've always stood by photo
sites as an example of something that doesn't need to be totally
accessible, and usability can fall to the side (to an extent) for sites
where you want people to explore...

it's interesting to explore which sites fall under that, and which
don't...