[thelist] Flash Protection

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Wed Apr 10 13:44:01 CDT 2002

Maybe my understanding of the concepts is deficient but here goes:

With Flash as well as HTML one can really only go so far in protecting
ones code. It is almost like trying to copyright "He entered the
house..." in the English language. Or 'Windows' for that matter.
(snicker). Unless you are using a compiled language pretty much anyone
can look at your code, no?

In my most humble of opinions why not print out the relevent code before
you go live, seal it in an envelope and have it signed by a notary. So
if someone does have a copy of your stuff you can pull the hard copies
and say 'ta da!'

Also, do you have the images copyrighted? Do you have the game itself
copyrighted? That would make it easier to go after these people than
trying to cover up code, which by intent is supposed to be readable.....

To claim that what one does as a designer, flash or not, as 'rather
unique' is a bit contrived. You might have your style, your own 'syntax'
as you code, but all in all you are implementing what is available
already in the code itself, albeit in your own personal way.

Samir M. Nassar - nassarsa at redconcepts.net
RedConcepts.NET - Open Source, Public Service
'Open Source, Open Systems, Open Borders, Open Minds'
Fingerprint = 4D04 E209 3FE5 DA25 A873 DD79 BD77 4511 BB2B AB9F