[thelist] Setup SMTP and CDONTS on Win2K Pro

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Apr 11 01:51:00 CDT 2002

At 11:37 PM 4/10/2002, lon.kraemer wrote:
>I'd like to be able to send email via ASP from a small site I'm serving from
>my PC.
>Can anyone direct me to a howto setup SMTP and CDONTS on Win2K Pro?

CDONTs is installed with the SMTP service. If you didn't install it with
the IIS server, just visit COntrol Panel : Add/Remove Program, select
Add/Remove Windows Components, and Drill Down via the IIS options to select
SMTP. Click next and the install should proceed. You might need your Win2K
CD, if the cab files are not on your local hard drive.

Lastly - Get to MS Update, and patch your system. Fully. There are some
serious holes with IIS 5 and SMTP that you need to patch immediately.

FYI - For an article on how to by pass CDONTs.

http://www.evolt.org/article/Using_files_to_send_emails_with_IIS_part_1_of_2/17/3419/index.html

And be aware that many SMPT Services will deny you the ability to send mail
to them if you are using a DSL/Cable or dialup line. The reverse lookups on
your IP will come back with "modem pool" like host names and you will be
denied the ability to send mail to the local users on those boxes.
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys