[thelist] Redoing a site's design from the grounds up

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Thu Apr 11 10:05:02 CDT 2002

> > That's what I was kind of thinking. Your reply plus Heather's
> > especially give me a better general direction for the redesign.
>
> you looking for *design* ideas, or more general than that?
> trying to figure out
> what content you'll have?  what features?

It was kind of an open question, both design-wise (how can one differentiate
between corporate and personal site) and feature-wise (waht would you do/not
do on a personal site).

Actually I've got the content (40+ articles), but I was wondering on all the
rest.

> my take is anything that can show off what you do, and do it
> well... but of
> course, i always run into sites where the kid who built it is
> so proud he/she
> learned how to export slices out of IR (130k, just saw one
> like this last night)
> that it turns me off...  there *is* that danger, but if you
> build a site to be
> accessible, and someone is turned off by it, is that so bad?

Heh.
Accessibility will be something I'll concentrate on. The site will feature
content, and as such (hopefully) it won't rely on graphics mainly, but on
design (balancing the masses, etc).

> > Yup. That you love people more than code ;-))))
>
> no, that's not it...

LOL!

> i didn't even know there was a question, i just like to talk
> about myself... so
> much so, that i even made a new photo for my evolt.org
> bio.... how sad is
> that?

It's OK. No more Mistah big-nose-painted-aardvark, then? Funny pic, this new
one, BTW :-)

> anyway, ask more of these, it's interesting to read how
> others approach their
> designs, considering we've all got different goals with our
> personal sites...

That's what makes them personal.
Ain't I profound today, hah? :-)