[thelist] Google APIs beta released

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Fri Apr 12 04:06:02 CDT 2002

Madhu Menon wrote:

> http://www.google.com/apis/
>
> <quote>
>
> With the Google Web APIs service, software developers can query more
> than 2
> billion web documents directly from their own computer programs. Google
> uses the SOAP and WSDL standards so a developer can program in his or her
> favorite environment - such as Java, Perl, or Visual Studio .NET.
>
> </quote>

Wow! This is going to be fun. it's a free service (for non commercial
use) and Google let you run up to a thousand queries a day with your
free license key. You can only query their main search index (not images
/ groups) but you get pretty comprehensive access to it - you can run
any search that you could enter in to the search engine and there are
methods for using their spelling suggestion technology and grabbing
things from the Google cache.

I'm trying to get it working with Python at the moment but having never
used SOAP before I'm not having much luck :(