[thelist] Practical limits for MySQL + PHP

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Fri Apr 12 11:15:00 CDT 2002

Good Friday!

In the office we are discussing a rather large reporting project that
involves the addition of thousands of records per day to a MySQL database.
The database could contain as much as 40 million records in any given 3
month time period. Items more than 90 days old would be
"highlighted/summarized" into a different table. We have various methods of
providing reports but are interested in using a web-based PHP interface to
delivery some of the reports. Has anyone come up against the practical
limits of doing reporting with recordsets potentially this large? There are
some things I can do to maximize performance such as creating views of
certain datasets and querying the view or creating an UDF which runs the
query periodically and outputs to file that can be updated periodically
during the day. Ad hoc queries are a particular concern, as the users of the
reports may want to run certain date ranges, etc.

TIA!

Jay