[thelist] FSO Vs. DB

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Sun Apr 14 02:01:01 CDT 2002

Allrighty, here's one for ya:

I've got a template page with dynamic content. What are the pros/cons of
storing the content in individual files versus a database?

A bit more info, perhaps:

Like I said earlier, I've got a template and content separate. My boss
says that a system where the content is in separate HTML files and then
brought in via server-side includes would be better than having the
content in a db. He wants some kind of common content folder, with
individual subfolders for each group of different permissions allowed.
Like this:

/content/group1/
/content/group2/
/content/group3/

With a typical file looking like this:

top template
top template

  include /content/group1/mainPage.html

bottom template
bottom template

The main issue here is editing the content that gets brought into the
templates. The Boss thinks that having it in separate HTML files will
allow people to open up "their" files in FP or DW, and edit away. I view
this as more of an admin nightmare.

Putting the content into a db and slapping a web front-end for editing
on it gives me the control I need, with only a slight hassle to the user
(using web-based editing, rather than a client side proggie like FP/DW).

Has anyone ever been faced with this before? I'm curious to hear the
pros/cons of both.

-Ken Kogler