[thelist] Screen Captures again

sasha sasha at bittersweet2.com
Sun Apr 14 22:58:01 CDT 2002

http://www.bittersweet2.com/portfolio/web.php

I chop out the browser's chrome before I resize mine.
Normal text can't be read, but heading & logo text is
fairly clear.  I could use unsharp to make them a bit
crisper, but I think mine are clear enough for me.

I have heard of some people masking out the text of the
site and adding it back in with Photoshop in a small
point size to make the text clearer.  Sounds like a lot
of work to me, but the results might be what you're
looking for.

Christy "sasha" Siepker
http://bittersweet2.com

4/14/2002 11:32:41 PM, "Derry Talvainn"
<derry at artema.com.au> wrote:

>Thanks for all suggestions:
>
>Could someone please point me to a site where there are
some 'successful'
>screen captures so I can gauge whether I am just being
too fussy here or
>whether I am not doing this correctly?
>
>sasha - the screen resolution I took the captures is
800 x 600 - so using a
>higher screen resolution is not the problem
>
>Hugh - Downloaded hypersnap - it is a great little
utility - but it doesn't
>do any better with the quality of the image when scaled
>
>Hassan - No point zooming in as I want Full Screen
>
>Janet - Printkey - couldn't get it to install
>
>Ken - tried 640 x 480 with no better results - was
using 800 x 600

>Pat - was resampling - so this is not the problem
>
>Christian - I tried 'Snag It' but it isn't the quality
I was looking for
>either - also tried using 50%, 75% and 25% but didn't
think that was an
>improvement on the quality in fact it was worse - what
am I doing wrong?

>Aardvark - Downloaded a utility called 'Screen Ruler'
but I am not sure
>exactly how you mean me to use it nor how to use the
javascript. I am
>viewing my files at 100% in Photoshop. To capture a 800
x 800 file using
>altprintscreen I would have to increase my screen
resolution to above 1024 x
>768 to get the length - did you mean me to do this?
>
>I wanted full web pages scaled from 800 pixels to 600
pixels in width
>(cropping to reduce the page further) - the height
varies depending on the
>page content.
>

>Derry Talvainn
>Artema Interactive Design
>
>He who says it cannot be done should not interrupt
someone doing it.
>(Chinese Proverb)

aardvark
>Sent: Sunday, 14 April 2002 6:19 PM
>To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
>Subject: Re: [thelist] Screen Captures
>

>> From: "Derry Talvainn" <derry at artema.com.au>
>[...]
>> Anyone know of a way to reduce the size of a screen
capture without
>> making the text look bad?
>
>the text will be resampled, no matter what you do...
part of the bicubic
>interpolation method requires that pixels get averaged
as you downsample, so
>letters won't map to individual pixels anymore... they
will instead 'smear'
>across multiple pixels...
>
>you could use nearest neighbor, for example, instead of
bicubic, but that
>won't
>help you...
>
>instead, determine your final desired size...  let's
say you need a screen
>capture to display at 200x200 pixels...  you want to
(ideally) reduce an
>image
>size to 25% of its original size to maintain the most
clarity (4 pixels get
>crammed into one -- square to smaller square), and
failing that, by 50% if
>possible (2 pixels get crammed into one, but it's a
rectangle getting
>stuffed
>into a square, so it's not as good)... other
percentages require even more
>odd
>shape cramming, resulting in less ideal images...
>
>so get your browser window to 800x800, do the cap, and
resample to
>200x200 (or 25%) from there...
>
>you may want to run an unsharp mask filter on it to
clean up the edges of
>some things, but that might not be necessary...
>
>> My first attempt at screen capturing was to use Print
Screen and paste
>> into Photoshop - but that was awful even at 100%.
Then I found the
>> CorelCapture utility which does a great job at 100%
but that is all. I
>> have tried reducing the size in Photoshop, Photopaint
and also with
>> CorelCapture all to no avail.
>[...]
>
>i use alt+PrtScrn to get the current window, and it's
worked wonderfully for
>me
>for a long time...  make sure that in Photoshop you're
viewing the image as
>pixels at actual size (100%), so every pixel in the
image is mapped to a
>screen pixel...
>
>there's no need to get a utility for what you want to
do, you can do it all
>with
>alt+PrtScrn (you're on windows) and Photoshop... a
little advance planning
>and window sizing will take care of the rest...
>
>and if you need to get your window to the right size
and don't feel like
>downloading Screen Ruler:
>
>javascript:resizeTo(800,800);
>
>where the 800,800 is your 800x800 window size (or
whatever number you