[thelist] hiding CSS

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 15 15:31:00 CDT 2002

> From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>
[...]
> Right, right, right ... wacky stuff _doesn't_ work the same between
> browsers - even between browsers that accept every syntax of @import
> known to Man.

yeah, see, that's the thing, you're already assuming that he's at
that point, and i'm not... nothing wrong with either approach, IMO,
since we're just offering different perspectives...

> So the options becomes not using something because it's implemented
> differently in some browsers (something that we all in this thread
> agree is a bad idea, since we're attempting to fix it with @import),
> or relying on JavaScript.
>
> BTW, relying on JS for some styles does not preclude one from using
> @import for others ... I've not done it ... but I have served a
> stylesheet w/o JS, and on the same page used JS to serve the funky
> stuff ... there's five stylesheets, and any given browser gets no more
> than 2 - only one with JS turned off. Is there anything wrong with
> that?

nope, not if it's truly your last-ditch fix and it tests well for your
audience... i just flinch at that as the initial solution...

btw, the site of which you speak would make an interesting tutorial
on the site for those who wrangle with this regularly... hint...

> And At 8:13 AM -0400 4/15/02, aardvark responded:
> >not quite my approach... i try not to create or use styles that will
> >break a browser anyway, as opposed to unstyling it all...
>
> Right, and I see where you're coming from from your perspective: you
> don't _have to_ fiddle around with styles or use styles that you
> _know_ are never going to work in some browsers. But I do, and I'm
> confident in asserting that many other evolters do too.

masochist.  although, FWIW, yes, i have a style <pre> on my
personal site with a scrollable overflow that poops the bed in
IE/mac...  i had removed it altogether until the other night when i
decided that as my personal site, nobody was interested in it
anyway...

> So for those of us that get these admittedly wacky projects, we have
> the option of doing some wacky stuff or loosing a client and letting
> them find someone else to do their wacky stuff for them. --

well, i don't think we're going that far... we're still trying to get some
styles to work...