[thelist] hosting alternatives

Mark Limburg mlimburg at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 16 05:22:00 CDT 2002

Howdy,

I hate to make this list into a hosting discussion (if you like, just
email me directly) but I need to find a very cheap PHP/MySQL host.  I'm
doing a bunch of volenteer work for some non-profit organisations, and
they need a host that does more than provide a few static pages (which
is what they're using now).

I'm writing up a 'generic' weblog for them, to allow them to issue press
releases, event calendar, contact details (etc) .. but finding them
cheap solutions is becoming difficult.

Now, the best I can find is $10US a month - for a service which is
fantastic but beyond their needs.  I'm looking for:

  * small bandwidth
  * 10M to 20M storage
  * email nice, but not required
  * PHP & MySQL

If I can find something like this for $5US a month, I'm sure I can
convince these groups (and more) to move out of the crappy ISP based
sites and into something that actually helps their organisation.

Thanks guys..

^M^