[thelist] changing your listing in yahoo

niklaus.haldimann at xmedia.ch niklaus.haldimann at xmedia.ch
Tue Apr 16 07:22:01 CDT 2002

> From: dn at dittodesign.co.uk [mailto:dn at dittodesign.co.uk]
> Has it got to the point were I will need to hand over
> some cash ? Or is there another way to get them to
> make the changes.

in my experience yahoo will do very little for you if you don't pay. i
haven't succeeded to place any of my non-commercial sites in the directory
via the free submittal program (my last attempt was half year ago, though).
some friends tell me they were able to get into the directory pretty
quickly. so there still seems to be a fair bit of randomness in the process.

actually i do have a site in the directory. one project of mine that has
caused quite a stir in the weblog community and hit mainstream media was
picked up by a yahoo editor on his own. when i moved the project to a new
url i used the change form - and i was suprised to see that they changed it
within a week. i guess there's some kind of ranking system in place which
rates sites picked by editors higher than others.

<rant>
personally i think yahoo (at least the directory divison) has lost it. they
don't show any interest at all in mapping the web evenly. it's a pity that a
yahoo directory listing still matters that much (that directory listing of
mine drives a *lot* of traffic to the project).
</rant>

--
Nik Haldimann
Web Developer, Xmedia