[thelist] shopping cart tutorial

Marcia Welter mhwelter at welterweb.com
Tue Apr 16 17:47:01 CDT 2002

I found a shopping cart that requires php-nuke (supposed to be updated any
minute):
http://www.phoenix9.com.au/nuke/index.php

>don't particularly need it for a customer

I've only used the remote cart at Mal's Ecommerce, but I'm thinking if I get
into anything that will be billable to customers I'd rather use Open Source
if at all possible. Then, rather than pay commercial vendors for products
that can have additional charges when they update, it'll be more beneficial
to do donation-ware contributions back into the Open Source community.

There are constant developments, enhancements and add-ons with Open Source,
and I figure that wherever it's possible to make any kind of return back in
support of their efforts it's worth doing, however much I can.

Whatever tutorials there are, imho it's important to keep in mind that flat
HTML pages are search engine friendly and dynamic (cart) pages aren't. I'm
doing SEO for a site now that's got only the index page HTML, the whole rest
of the site is dynamic - has to stay INSIDE the cart or it'll lose the
inventory - and there's no mod_rewrite. What a hassle!

Marcia