[thelist] Re: macIE5 and css overflow property

Alexandre Simard alex at anthropie.com
Wed Apr 17 00:44:00 CDT 2002

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the update!

> http://www.sam-i-am.com/testsuite/css/overflow-auto-fix.html
>
> There's one irritating issue left. When you use overflow: auto in macIE5,
> the hidden content isn't really clipped, as revealed by the main
> application scrollbar.

There's actually an additionnal problem, which is unwanted clipping at the
bottom of the scrolling DIV, which you can also fix with your padding trick:

http://www.anthropie.com/test/overflowtest.html

Your IE Mac parsing bug is a great find! But the double scrollbar bug is
indeed annoying.

I was thinking of using overflow:auto instead of <iframe>, which would allow
me to have only one copy of the text for all platforms/browsers, since my
design would allow vertical expansion for browsers not supporting overflow.

With <iframe> I would need to update a separate HTML file and the <noframe>
content in the main page. For the moment, it looks like <iframe> is still
the best way to go.

I'll keep you posted if I find any new workarounds for macIE5 and
overflow:auto.

Alexandre