[thelist] Most common screen resolution?

sasha sasha at bittersweet2.com
Wed Apr 17 14:17:01 CDT 2002

1.  http://extremetracking.com/open;sys?
login=taming
Keep in mind, this is a gaming site's stats (and
most of these people are going to have higher end
machines/graphic abilities).  It took 2 years for
1024x768 to pass up 800x600 on this site (note
that the counter was recently reset).

2.  NO ONE wants to change their screen
resolution.  I see it and I ignore it.  Would you
want to go through your display settings and
change them just because abc website said so?
There are going to be people who have visual
disabilities that want a lower resolution.  There
are going to be college kids/business personel
that are using machines that can't get those
resolutions/color depths (the community college I
went to had stickers attached to their monitors
saying, "DO NOT CHANGE THE MONITOR RESOLUTION",
and it was set at 640x480).

3.  To exactly what extent do you mean?  Other
than screen res, color depth, refresh rate, and
"appearance" (window chrome), I don't change much
else.  I can't comment on other users.

Christy "sasha" Siepker
http://www.bittersweet2.com

4/17/2002 2:54:24 PM, "Janet Green"
<JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com> wrote:

>I have some questions about screen resolution.
Someone told me recently that new computers are
automatically set at 1024x768, so when they
designed a site at that resolution and asked me to
look at it, I commented that I didn't think most
people were viewing sites at that resolution
(including me) and so might find the horizontal
scroll bar annoying... now after talking to my IT
manager, who showed me all these Windows settings
you can change to alter your resolution AND the
size of type on your screen... I'm wondering if I
was wrong to criticize the guy for designing at
1024x. So here are my questions:

>1. Does anyone have a web statistics site they
like to visit to find out what the most commonly
used screen resolution is these days for average
web surfers, or failing that, do you have an
opinion about how likely people are to be viewing
at 1024x?
>2. How likely are people to change their screen
resolution because a particular website says it's
"best viewed at" (x)?
>3. How likely they are to change all their
Windows settings to customize their computer? (I
consider myself an above average computer user,
but I NEVER mess with the Windows type-size
settings. Maybe I'm not so above average after
all!!)

>A little education, please, on "where we're at"
with screen resolution theory these days. Thanks!