[thelist] VBScript Arrays

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Wed Apr 17 15:07:29 CDT 2002

On Apr 17, Joshua Olson had something to say about Re: [thelist] VBScript Arrays

>> Can I convert a 2D-array to a recordset then do the recordset paging I'm
>> familiar with? (adovbs helps!) I've done the opposite with .getRows()
>> before, but I don't think I can go the other way...
>
>Ken,
>
>What attributes are you storing--the same ones as provided by the FSO?  Or,
>are you calculating height and width using some sort of utility?  If the
>former, you find that *not* creating the embedded array structure may be all
>you need to do.  You may still benefit from loading the filenames into a 1D
>array, but the other attributes are always available via a short call to the
>OS.  The OS should be smart enough to cache this information on subsequent
>calls and provide it to you very fast.

well, i'd imagine (especially if there are a lot of files, like in this
case) that it would be a much better idea to store it in an array and
cache that array in an application-level variable rather than making x
calls to the OS for info for each of the many files.

wow. that was a long sentence. but, don't you think?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com