[thelist] Scope document - need help writing one

Wade Armstrong wade_lists at runstrong.com
Wed Apr 17 18:17:01 CDT 2002

on 4/17/02 9:56 AM, Tara Cleveland at tara at taracleveland.com wrote:
> So how do I write out something that explains exactly what I'll build in the
> site without it being so long, detailed and incomprehensible that they don't
> read it? What do y'all put in a scope document, and how do you present the
> info so people who aren't tech-savvy can understand it? And lastly, but
> perhaps most importantly, how do I get them to pay attention to what I've
> written?

This is a really big challenge that I have as well, since most of our
clients are relatively small companies and organizations.

When building a schedule, I create a specific list of deliverables. The
scope document(s) then describe those specific deliverables. Up front, I
make the client aware that each deliverable, once accepted, is final - and
if I think the client doesn't get it, I make them sign something.

Now, before you get to this stage, it's important that the client feels that
their input has been taken into consideration. So make sure to build some
revisions into your schedule. But be very specific about how many revisions
there will be - one or two is usually fine.

Once you're talking with the client about accepting the deliverable, be very
clear about what's happening. Don¹t say, "Do you like this design?" - say
"Are we in agreement that this is the design we will move forward with? We
can freeze the design and enter the next phase? Great. So this is the final
design and we won't be revisiting it."

The hard part about this is that it requires discipline on your end too,
because you can't go back and change freezed and agreed-upon requirements.

Wade