[thelist] Win2000/SMTP Mail problem

Nedret Saidova saidovan at rs.uovs.ac.za
Thu Apr 18 11:22:00 CDT 2002

We have Windows 2000 server as a webserver and a virtual SMTP
server to foward mail to our mail server.

The problem is that after 7 days of running without a problem the
SMPT service desided to stop responding.

Internet service managment says it's running but if you post a mail
message form a web page it just puts the message in the queue
directory. It doesn't even update the logfile, for the message or that
the service is going offline or coming online.

If you telnet to the SMTP service and send a message through
Telnet, it also puts the message directly in the queue but at least
puts something in the log file (just a line that says it got the
message). Mail.chm file says there sould be a *.rtr file but there's
no file to be found only the queued messages.

We restarted the server 3 times and the SMTP server 5 times!

Can someone give me advice to get the SMTP service up and
running? HELP!

Nedret