[thelist] php and gdbm

Edwin Martin e.j.martin at chello.nl
Thu Apr 18 13:57:00 CDT 2002

Hi kristina,

>   What I would like to know is, should I continue using gdbm?  Bearing
>   in mind I'm a total beginner, and most tutorials out there seem to
>   use MySQL.  Also if anyone knows how or why I can't get this to
>   work, I'll be endlessly grateful.

(g)dbm is a very simple 'database manager'. You can't do
much with it and it isn't very fast, but it is simple. You
don't need to install a database manager like MySQL or
PostgreSQL.

PHP doesn't support gdbm out of the box, but it does
support dbm. See this manual page with example:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.dbm.php

You probably can use dbm instead of gdbm.

Bye,
Edwin Martin.