[thelist] RegExp Help

cspruck at mindspring.com cspruck at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 18 20:37:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:04:19 -0700 Jake Aust <mail_lists at jakesdiner.com> wrote:

Anyone have any idea how I could use RegExp to find and replace and carriage
returns or newline characters that occur in an HTML file in between <p></p>
tags?

Jake,

Depending on the implementation of regex you're using, you should be able to replace newlines with no problems. Try \n for newline/linefeed or \r for a carriage return and see if that works for you - you didn't mention what you're using for regex, so it may vary based on your app or language.

<plug>
I have an article on regex on the evolt site at http://www.evolt.org/RegEx_Basics/.
</plug>

I didn't include \n or \r in my tables of operators because they weren't common to the tools I had at my disposal or to reference sites I checked, but I know \n or \r can be used.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Chris