[thelist] PHP explode, and name value pairs

Martin Tsachev shaggy at members.evolt.org
Sat Apr 20 07:15:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:20:01 +0100, Donald Noble wrote:

>Hi evolters, hope you can help me with this...
>
>Using PHP, what is the 'best' way to handle a series of name value pairs that
>are to be stored as a single string but need to be manipulated as separate
>items. To make things more complicated there will be a variable number of name
>value pairs.
>
>Which of these would be easier/faster/better - or is there another way to do
>this altogether

Hi Donald,

I'm not quite sure which one's faster but I know the easiest way to do this is
to use PHP's serialize/unserialize functions. I think they work only on
objects, you'll have to create a dummy object with properties the variables you
want to store.

Apparently that's the way sessions work in PHP.

Martin Tsachev
http://members.evolt.org/shaggy/