[thelist] Re: [Slightly OT] Domain name dispute

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Sat Apr 20 14:51:01 CDT 2002

> > I registered a domain name for my (small) company a few years ago.
> > When the time came to renew the domain a wanted to switch registrars.
> > I let the networksolutions account expire and tried to switch
> > registrars.

Oh, it makes me sick every time I hear this!

<tip type="Domain Name management" author="digger">

You can transfer a domain to another registry service at any time.
You do not have to wait until it expires, and you SHOULD not.
Your registry can refuse to process a transfer if the account
runs out -- if you're lucky, they'll let you renew with them
and THEN process a transfer; if you're unlucky, they'll sell
your domain out from under you.

Your new registry service will give you credit for the remaining
time at the old registry -- e.g. if you have six months on the
current registration and you transfer/renew somewhere else for
a year, your account will be "paid up" for eighteen months.  So
if you don't like the service at your current registry, move
your domain names NOW!

</tip>
--
Kevin "digger" Martin - http://handsonhowto.com/dns101.html