[thelist] basic mysql key question.

kris burford [midtempo] kris at midtempo.net
Mon Apr 22 05:16:01 CDT 2002

hi all,

i'm playing with mysql/php and have a cms system where i have two tables.

table_story has story_id, story_text and image_id
table_images has image_id, image_name, image_height and image_width

table_images.image_id is set to auto_increment.

if i insert a new image, what is the easiest means of updating
table_story.image_id

my poor brain is thinking that i have to:

1. insert into table_images
2. select image_id from table_images where image_name = image_name
3. update table_story

in three separate database queries - which to me seems like a rather basic
and inelegant means of doing this.

could someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

kris