[thelist] CMS -- central module handling

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Mon Apr 22 07:42:01 CDT 2002

[snip]
My biggest problem is the ground level -- how should the central system
(that registers modules) work? Ideally, it should be possible to easily
extended the system -- running the install.php file (or something
similar) will tell (insert new database rows or will add new rows to the
configuration file) the central module that a new module was just added
and also gives instructions, how to use it, with which other modules it
integrates and where the new files are.
[/snip]

What would the 'central system' start with? Is it a set of database tables
that hold configuration options for modules? Do you want to be able to
create input forms and have their structure automatically created in the
database? Do you want developers to extend the system, or are you talking
users?

[snip]
So, the problem is that there might only be the "article" module at
first. Later, the "articles" and "What's new" module will be added and
all three of them should now work together. I hope you catch my drift.
[/snip]

Have you looked at an object-oriented approach, where modules can be created
as class objects to extend the system?

[snip]
I have quite a few ideas, but I'm sure that our team is just
re-inventing the wheel. What are your experiences? Are there any good
books on the subject of creating an extendable content management system
(preferably from the coders point of view, but not language-specific).
[/snip]

For books:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/3NBURDCH4LKHA/re
f=cm_bg_dp_l_1/102-4472529-9096161

Either fortunately or unfortunately I have not read any of these books,
mostly due to my work schedule. However, of the 3 the Content Management
Bible would probably be the first one I read.

As far as re-inventing the wheel, perhaps. But I have found that the ability
to customize a CMS the most important factor, whether it be an off-the-shelf
product, or producing a custom system.

[shameless plug]
I am writing a series on CMS development from the ground up, the first if
the series is online now at
http://www.evolt.org/article/The_ABCs_of_CMS/20/24182/index.html?cfid=106178
8&cftoken=35932675
{watch wrap]