[thelist] Re: XML, anyone? with without PHP?

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Mon Apr 22 18:01:01 CDT 2002

Hi, All --

I am trying to set up a new site with an eye towards standards, and
compliance with what I can expect over the next couple of years. (I've
been coding HTML since early '96, and I'm tired of all the remakes.) I
decided to code for XHTML compliance, but I am having problems
selecting scripts (guestbook, forum, chat). My tech support guys are
totally for PHP over Perl because it reduces the load on the server,
but I know those <? ...> tags for PHP are not okay for XHTML. Right?

The calls for Perl scripts are within the <a href="/cgi-bin..."> tags,
so they make for well-formed XHTML pages. But I'm told PERL scripts are
a drag on the server. Well, are there good XML scripts available yet?
If I learn to code XML, is that supported generally by Apache servers
(Linux)? I just have to make a decision about this to get the last 5 of
about 55 pages written for this site, so I can upload it next week. Can
anyone help me with good information so I can make an informed decision?

Cheers
Carol Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com