[thelist] Re: XML, anyone? with without PHP?

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Mon Apr 22 18:12:01 CDT 2002

Carol.

<? ... ?> is not a problem in itself for XHTML. Rather the problem is
with the server usually as it parses the information.

As I understand it <? ... ?> is used for scripts, like PHP and XML, in
fact, I believe that <? ... ?> is the accepted way of embedding scripts
as per the W3C. So far no problem, right? Wrong.

Some admins configure their servers to parse <? ... ?> as PHP only. This
is usually done for lazy designers I think who can't be bothered to use
the long form: <?php ... ?> or <?xml ... ?>. So if you have <?xml ...?>
in your markup when the server only wants to parse <? ...?> as PHP it
chokes.

I had that problem, and I believe it was explained to me on this list.
;-)

In any case, you should be just fine embedding PHP in XHTML, just make
sure you use the long forms just in case the server is configured funny.

Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - http://www.redconcepts.net
Open Source Design Syndicate - http://os-ds.com
'Open Source, Open Systems, Open Borders, Open Minds'