[thelist] RE: Commission

Rachel Cunliffe rachel at cre8d-design.com
Mon Apr 22 19:45:01 CDT 2002

Hi everyone,

I'd like some outside input on a dispute that has come up quite a few times
in the past week.  I do freelance work for an internet company that is still
starting out, putting systems in place etc.  There's lots of ins and outs,
since everyone involved is friends and know each other.  (That has its good
and bad points!)

Last year, one of the guys talked to a few people (or they approached him)
regarding development of websites.  In three particular instances (that I
can think of for now), he met with the client, discussed ideas with them
etc.  These sites never eventuated into anything, for one reason or another.

Within the past week, I was apporached by one of those clients saying that
it got "snowed under" last year and they would like to actually get a site
online and would like to engage my services.  They have even gone so far as
requesting possible times they can meet with me.

I mentioned to the guy (who now lives in an entirely different city, ten
hours drive away) that "his" client contacted me and if this would be ok for
me to deal with (I didn't have to, but I wanted to be non-sneaky about
this).  He said that was fine that I put together the site, as long as he
gets the salesperson commission (a percentage of the total website price).
I tried to reason with him that since no contract was signed with the
client(s) last year, he was not entitled to claim a commission on the site.
He's now claiming that if this happens with any of his other clients -
whenever they decide to sort out a website (if they come to us, or if I go
and approach them) that he wants his commission for something that never
eventuated last year.

How do other people define who gets the commission on a site?

tia muchly

.: rachel