[thelist] RE: Lotus Notes browser and ASP sessions

Pete Riddle pcridd at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 06:18:01 CDT 2002

> Notes by default ships only with this browser
(someone > > mentioned it
> ships
> with explorer 4 that is incorrect).

Oops. My fault. I was referring to the "Notes with
Internet Explorer" option, which, while rendering
pages, says "Notes Web Browsing with IE 4" up top, but
is actually just using whatever version of IE is on
the machine.

> IMO this notes browser should never be used , its
> provided as a
> quickview
> kind of viewer for seeing html attachments.
> While installing notes (or even later) there  is a
> setting which can be
> defaulted to either : explorer , netscape, notes
> browser, or anything
> else.
> when that is done it automatically picks up the
> specified browser.
> With those people you mention it should forget about

> trying to support
>this
>browser as these people seem to be using it by
mistake >it should be an
>issue of configuring the notes client to recognise
the >right browser.

I agree, but we can't assume everyone is "allowed" by
their network admins to change this setting. For
example, we, along with doubtless many other
comapanies, have our Notes "Welcome" page setup to
display a page on our company Intranet. Without having
either "Notes" or "Notes with Internet Explorer"
selected, this page would not display within the Notes
client.

Now, we've made a point of making sure that "Notes
with Internet Explorer" is selected, if only to
prevent our intranet from being mangled. But I think
this is a decent option, especially when considering
the alternative (the built-in Notes browser).

Pete