[thelist] Lotus Notes browser and ASP sessions

Ron_Senykoff at beaerospace.com Ron_Senykoff at beaerospace.com
Wed Apr 24 08:38:01 CDT 2002

<snip>
Notes is quite possibly the sorriest excuse for collaboration software I've
ever used.  I hate it.

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu
http://www.330i.net
</snip>

You probably havn't seen any good applications and this is why you feel
that Notes is so bad.  It is difficult to find real Notes developers.
There are a lot of posers out there that develop crappy applications and
give people reasons to hate it.  I'm sorry that this has happened to you,
as it gives Notes a bad name.

Personally, part of my job is Notes development (Domino web development to
be more accurate).  The team I work with has done some really great stuff
for our company.  Until the company decided to bring development in-house,
they only had 1 'notes developer' here and the apps that were developed
_were_ really crappy because he was learning by himself in an isolated
environment, etc., etc.  Once they brought a team on-board (including
myself) we really got the ball rolling over the last year.  The company
website (which needs a design overhaul - the framesets were done poorly and
the load time is too high) is controlled through a lotus notes content
management application that we developed in-house.  Users can edit the
content, preview it on an internal server, route it around for approval,
etc.  Then when it's ready to go live, a person with the 'publisher' role
clicks 'publish' and it gets replicated to the production website within 5
minutes.  Not too shabby IMHO.

Anyways, Notes, if done right, can be awesome.  In many cases though, the
implementations of it suck.  I've seen several myself.

-Ron