[thelist] scrolling horizontal screen scripts

Means, Eric D eric.d.means at boeing.com
Wed Apr 24 15:26:01 CDT 2002

Very interesting effect.  Quite original.

> I was also
> wondering how cross browser this type of thing is. I could view it in IE
> 5, when I tried to view it in NS6 and IE4 I had problems but I think
> that may have been my internet connection and I gave up. Any thoughts
> about this type of navigation for the site would be appreciated and any
> pitfalls to look out for would be appreciated. I am a total beginner
> when it comes to javascript.

As far as cross browser, it works for me in IE6, Mozilla 0.9.9, Netscape
4.77, and Opera 6, so it seems pretty stable.  A quick glance at their
source code seemed to indicate they expect the script to work in IE3 and NS3
and up, which is about as cross-browser as you're going to find.

Even if the JS breaks on a given browser, the page is just one extremely
wide webpage that gets horizontally scrolled, so no JS wouldn't hurt
anything other than making you manually scroll left or right.

A lot of the site is in images, so handicapped accessibility might be a
gotcha.