[thelist] Site Check: deafplanet.com

Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC) ftarzwell at fayec.com
Wed Apr 24 22:43:00 CDT 2002

Hi,

I was asked to help evaluate and debug this site (I didn't design or
develop it).
I came across something very weird. When loading the page on IE 5.0
(with the security settings set to the default medium) the page won't
load at all. I keep getting the quicktime icon while loading and then I
get a message telling me to download Quicktime. I reinstalled it
thinking I had an older version or something had gone dead somewhere but
I kept getting the same message. I then checked my IE security settings
and changed it to low. I now can load the page after getting a warning
about possible unsafe software (ActiveX controls) that would cause
damage to my ActiveX controls (???) and answering yes to run it anyway.
Fine and dandy...it loads after I click yes....my question is that many
users would not know how to set their security level to low in order to
load the page...am I right to think that?
The funny thing is that the page loads fine in Netscape 4.79 without
having to mess with any settings. No problem whatsoever (besides the
little gaps between the .swfs).
On Mozilla the second window doesn't popup at all. Not even when I click
on the logo to relaunch the main window....
My question to you gurus is: Is this something isolated to my computer
or you also get the same problems I got here?
Thank you all for your help with this site. I will forward any feedback
to the person in charge of the development team.

Cheers,
--
Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC)