[thelist] Free tip: securing your online store

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Wed Apr 24 23:00:07 CDT 2002

We have had one client so far have all of their sites set up to pass the
  3 digit security number, and I see it becoming a standard thing. The
driving factor is better rates from the processors.
The three digit number is not on the magnetic strip, and it is
apparently some kind of cross check on the number. So it does help
protect against the people who steal card numbers with hidden swipers.

http://usa.visa.com/business/merchants/fraud_basics_cvv2.html

jon