[thelist] Online Directory Privacy Concerns

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 25 14:42:00 CDT 2002

Jason,

I think you've done your homework into prevention measures.  My suggestion
would be this: provide those choices to the users of the directory.  Give
them the option to select whether they want their addresses publicly
accessible, accessible only via a form submit that wouldnt reveal their
address, or not listed at all but in the database so that they could toggle
the values whenever they want.

Have a FAQ/Disclaimer spelling out concerns and let the users choose.  This
is what I've done with various directory sites for large public
organizations.

David
www.confluentforms.com