[thelist] site check

lon.kraemer lwkraemer at directvinternet.com
Fri Apr 26 17:07:01 CDT 2002

Hi buddy!

I agree with most of what's been said up to this point, esp. too busy with
lined boxes/deeply nested tables.

Colors? _I_ know you're color-blind. We've talked about this. You might be
better served using something like: http://www.colorschemer.com/online/ and
trusting a selected scheme. Then follow through with more consistancy (esp.
links) across the site. It becomes VERY difficult to determine what is/is
not a link because of the variety of styles. Speaking of which, the majority
of your CSS styling is declared inline. Most (if not all) of this could and
probably should be moved to your external stylesheet.

In terms of width, it's slightly too wide even for 800X (horiz. scrollbar)
and anything less starts to obscure your right nav menu. I really think
you'd be better off using a more traditional left side nav menu layout. One
menu should be sufficient since you're not using images, so the bottom menu
can go bye bye.

I know you're a stickler for assessibility too. Your excessive use of
· may bite in screenreaders as will interspersing spaces in words,
e.g. D R I V E R S. I'd stick to standard punctuation.

I'd drop the Updated 04/26/2002 13:01:19. This can work against you if it's
too far past. Drop the redundant "Our Latest Whatever-", for the same
reason.

Since you're migrating to a new domain name, I think you need to emphasize
the fact more. Note the old domain for regular users, reminding them to
change their bookmark. A short explanation might be in order too. I hope
you're retaining the old domain and redirecting?

I think you should move the location/contact info/hours above the fold. As
another listee noted, the top graphic could easily be mistaken for a banner
ad (similar size, etc.) and leave users wondering where they are at.

+1 on dropping/obsfucating the AOL thingy. A commercial site isn't the
proper venue to be grandstanding this type of issue.

--
Lon Kraemer