[thelist] [Simple layout] I want to reach the standards

Gauthier@PlacidSound gauthier at placidsound.com
Sat Apr 27 13:34:01 CDT 2002

Hi here,

I'm currently finding my way about web design and i want to put my best to
reach the standardisation instead of the 'batardisation' (netscape4, ie4,
all these browser that doesn't comply with standards...).

I currently have a basic layout (see http://wisard.net) that was made with:
-ARGGHH many tables
-ARGHHH many spacers
-ARGHHH many 1px width or height cells....

in sumary: many things that the standards reject
(please don't flame me about crap design, I'm not a designer ;)

 I want to adapt this layout with the standard such as CSS1 and strict XHTML
specification (see http://194.250.105.2/evolt/layout.gif)

what did I have currently done:
http://194.250.105.2/evolt/index.html
http://194.250.105.2/evolt/style.css

the problem that occurs are
-i can't success to put the menu on the left side and the content directly
on his right side
-i'm having problem with the 'width:100%;' in mozilla
http://194.250.105.2/evolt/mozilla.gif
http://194.250.105.2/evolt/ie6.gif

My goal is to simplify the old table layout code, whenever if it doesn't
display in 4.xxx browsers, and to have a standard compliant layout that have
a true cross standard-compliant browser compatibility (lasts ie, lasts
opera, mozilla...)

Any help, reference, advice will be cool!

Thanks a lot a lot ;)

Gauthier

PS: this list is incredibely active, thanks for all the helpers and I also
put a big thanks for those who are behind this :)