[thelist] [Simple layout] I want to reach the standards

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Apr 27 14:18:00 CDT 2002

On Saturday, April 27, 2002, at 07:50  pm, Ken Kogler wrote:

> Since you're trying to reach the broadest base of people possible, you
> may want to consider at least using *some* tables for your layout. If a
> non-CSS browser visits your site, they get a whole lot of plain text,
> and they have to go sorting through it to find the relevant information.

Depends - does it really matter if the layout is exactly the same
for all browsers? For some sites, it won't.

If you separate your layout and presentational stylesheets, you
can get reasonable results even in NN4 (although there are
known probs with ie4.5/mac).

Take a look at
http://members.evolt.org/martin/
1) with IE5+ or Mozilla (it also suffers the scrollbar bug, so I'm
   looking forward to hearing of a fix)
2) with NN4
3) With stylesheets off
you'll see that the content makes sense in each case because
the stylesheets are separated, and because the different content
areas are in a sensible order in the HTML

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,